This Week in First Grade
In Language Arts, we will focus on animals around our neighborhood. Students will read, create murals, and will write journal entries about animals in our neighborhood. We will continue to explore realism and fantasy books during read aloud and in our class library. Book bags will be sent home four times a week. Please make sure the book bags are returned daily.
*Note: High Frequency Words and Amazing Words are posted. Please review High Frequency words with your child. You can make flash cards, practice reading these words off the computer or you could have your child write the words in rainbow colors.
Example: High Frequency Word: Small
Question of the week: Which wild animals can we find in our neighborhood?
Habitat, hatch, gentle, private, nudge, moist, survive, & perch
Word Wall words:
Saw, small, tree & your
Short e and initial blends like tr, gr, br, etc
Review: Short o, plural s and ending ing
In Writing Workshop, lessons will include:
· Creating a map of our hearts (this will help with ideas)
· Planning details
· Sketching rather than drawing
· Using our heart maps to gather ideas
· Using good word choice
In Math, we will learn how to:
· Solve number stories
· Write number models using symbols +, -, and =
· Count money
I have posted a few Math games that you and your child can play at home. Please visit this link.
Theme Work: We will paint our bats and have them up on display for next week.
Other News… ** Swimming starts November 15th – 19th. We will participate in a 50 minute swimming class at the rec center everyday that week. We are in need of a Dad or two to help in the boy’s locker room. We’d need help from 9:50-10:00 and 10:50-11:00. If you’re interested please contact Kim Hunt. Thanks! J
** We will celebrate Halloween on Friday, Oct. 29h from 2:30-3:00. Children can bring in their costumes. We are trying to keep it simple. Please keep face paint, etc at home. Feel free to stop in and say hello during our party.
· Conference week will be November 8th-11th. I’ll be scheduling your conference date/time on Monday. Sibling conferences will be back to back unless you want to do different times. Conferences will be scheduled between 3:30-6:00. Please let me know if you’d rather have a morning 8am, 11:40 (lunch), or 1:30 conference during that week. I offer these as options and it breaks up my day a little.
· No School for students, Fri. 11/12
BLOG away! Feel free to add comments and questions.