I would like to THANK YOU for attending Parent Night. I hope I answered all your questions about first grade. Please feel free to email me with any other questions that you have.
In Language Arts, we started our second week of Reading Street. The unit has been a hit. The kids love the new songs, poems and stories about animals. This week we will continue to explore how people and animals are important to one another. We will read the story “Pig in a Wig”.
Question of the week: How can people help animals?
Career, service, tool, scrub, sloppy, exercise, comfort & search.
Word Wall words:
Up, and, Take
Short I and final x.
Review: short a and final ck.
In Math, we will start unit 2. Topics included:
· Read and locate numbers on a number line and number grid.
· Count and solve problems on a number grid.
· Create a tally chart to organize data
· Give equivalent names for 10.
· Find pairs of numbers with sums of 10
· Make predictions and check outcomes.
In Writing, we will:
· Stretch our stories
· Write lists, letters and observations
· Prepare to publish our stories.
· Children will fix up and fancy up their stories.
· They will reread their story. They will ask themselves the following questions. 1. Does my story make sense? 2. How can I fix it? 3. What can I add?
· We will add color and a title page to finish up or work!
· Monday will be our class celebration.
· Don’t forget about picture day! If you’d like prints please send back the envelope with the correct amount of money. The picture day forms went home last week.
· Attention Volunteers: I sent you an email. Reading volunteers will start this Thursday. Writing volunteers will start next Tuesday.
· Please don’t forget to send a check for $40 for this year’s snack fund. The checks should be made out to WES snack fund. Thanks!
BLOG away! Feel free to add comments and questions.